I love beetroot, the colour alone is just amazing!
For this one, I grated this beetroot. Grating increases the surface area available to ferment so it is much faster, than slicing or cubes.
I’ve made it sliced thinly before so you can put it on burgers 🍔 or I’ve made beetroot kvass a salty Russian style drink/tonic. I will share this recipe one day 😉 but this time around it’s grated.
For a small jar you will need:
- 3 large or 5 small beetroot (or enough to fill the jar till it’s 3/4 full
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- enough *basic salt brine to cover beetroot
- bay leaves (goes great with beetroot) a grape leaf or a green tea teabag
- a small jar or weight that fits inside bigger jar
- Make salt brine
- Grate beetroot
- Mix caraway into the beetroot
- Put into jar
- Top with salt brine
- Place bay leaves on top, place weight on top and loosely screw lid on
- Place the jar in a bowl (in case it over flows) leave on bench for a week
- After a week, take the weight off and screw lid on and refrigerate
*basic salt brine = 5g (1tsp) salt to 250ml (1 cup) water