In Holland this is eaten a lot, it originates from the West Indies. We always ate Nasi Goreng with pickled onions or gherkins, peanut sauce and sweet soy sauce. Now I add a whole lot of kimchi to achieve the spicy sour taste, though I still think it’s great with a good pickled onion!
In Holland this is served in a big soup bowl and eaten with a spoon peanut sauce and Atjar Tjampoer, and if you can find prawn chips ( kroepoek ) go ahead we just have it as is, even cold for lunch the next day it’s great.
coconut oil or dripping for frying - Use a wok or fry pan
a small onion chopped into slices
1 tbsp crushed garlic and crushed ginger
spices = 1/2 tsp coriander seed, 1/2 tsp caraway seed, 1/2 tsp chilli
1/2 cup salami chopped into squares
1/2cup carrot chopped into squares
2 cups cooked cold rice
3 eggs ( break into a bowl )
1 cup of GoodBugs Ginger Ninja Kimchi (Buy Here)
- Fry the salami and onions off in some of the oil-fat once nearing brown
- Add the crushed garlic and ginger fry some more add spices
- Add the carrots and mushrooms once carrots are el-dente add the rice and quick fry
- Push the mixture to the side of your wok and add one egg at a time scramble as it cooks then mix into the rice mixture
- Turn wok off and add your kimchi
- Top with chives or coriander for some greenness. I added chives because my son is unfortunately one of those for whom coriander, tastes like soap!