NZ made Sauerkraut!
Fresh, raw and alive! GoodBugs sauerkraut is fermented using traditional, wild fermentation methods, handmade in small batches using spray-free, local cabbages grown on selected farms in Waikato. The process of lacto-fermentation utilises the naturally present yeasts and bacteria on healthy cabbages to produce sauerkraut in NZ that is alive with lactic acid bacteria and other beneficial microbes (GoodBugs!).
Our Range of Sauerkraut for NZ
Fermented cabbage is an almost universal food in Europe and Asia, with each culture having its traditional recipes and numerous regional variations. The word Sauerkraut; sauer = sour and Kraut = cabbage, comes from German but sauerkraut in NZ has a taste and texture that, whilst reminiscent of times gone by, has subtly become more modern. Different flavour profiles may include both fashionable flavours and health enhancers such as turmeric.
- Our best-selling Golden Kraut smells divine when you first open the jar, and pairs well with everything, especially fish and chips, with a refreshing feel on the palate. We ferment cabbages, oranges, salt, turmeric, and ginger root together for this New Zealand favourite.
- Zuurkool – the Dutch word for sour cabbage – is white cabbage and salt. It is a nostalgic favourite with many of our European customers, a most discerning lot regarding their cabbages.
- Dilly Dally is a subtle mix of cabbage, salt, dill seeds, and tips. It pairs well with sandwiches and as a condiment with your main meal.
- Citrus Twist is Marea's favourite and is perfect with smoked fish on crackers. It is a lemony sauerkraut made from cabbages, lemons, salt and coriander seeds.
- Purple Zuurkool Red Cabbage Sauerkraut our most medicinal sauerkraut, 100% red cabbage, which is low in FODMAP and high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Our red cabbage sauerkraut is subtly flavoured with salt and caraway seeds. Marea enjoys it with deconstructed sushi bowls.
- Our Thai This has a tad more heat and tastes a bit like a green curry. So refreshing! Subtitled as a 'Lime and Chilli Sauerkraut', it is made from cabbages, spring onions, lime juice, chillies, makrut lime leaves, lime zest, ginger and salt.
- Do you like beetroot? We have two sauerkrauts with beetroot for you! Our Beeter Be Good – cabbages, beetroot, apple, a touch of ginger and some salt – is a proven Dutch combination, and our Fennel Countdown is another of Marea's favourites, with the refreshing taste of fennel, which balances the earthy taste of beetroot – made from cabbage, beetroot, fennel, fennel seeds and salt.
- Horse Bites is a seasonal flavour. We masterly blend beetroot and horseradish with white cabbage, creates the ultimate condiment for hors d'œuvres.
- Lastly, but fast becoming our second most popular sauerkraut in NZ, is Sweet As. The Wow! ingredient is locally sourced raw honey combined with mustard, turmeric, and celery seeds. This is our only sauerkraut where we add the flavours after the fermentation process to retain the sweetness of the raw honey. This is a great sauerkraut for beginners, reluctant partners or kids. Goes amazing with our GoodBangers artisan hot dogs at local markets.
Can't decide? Check out our Tastebud Teaser Boxes for the ultimate selection of sauerkraut in NZ!
Love Ferments? Our subscription delivery boxes make getting sauerkraut in NZ easy! Every 1 or 2 months delivered to your door is a rotating selection of our all our ferments and some special ones too.